From the Publisher September 2014
Inc. 5000 shines light on northeast Wisconsin
Annual list of fastest growing companies includes 10 firms from our coverage area
by Sean Fitzgerald, New North B2B publisher
Inc. magazine’s annual release of its Inc. 5,000 list is always on the B2B radar come late August, because the list of the country’s fastest growing private companies routinely includes a handful from northeast Wisconsin.
This year was no different. But it was admittedly surprising this year to find a striking number of 10 companies from the New North B2B coverage area included on the 2014 list, which tracked revenue growth between 2010 and 2013. Here’s a look at the region’s accelerating companies making the Inc. 5,000 list for 2014 by order of rank:
• Exclusive CPA of Kaukauna (exclusivecpa.com) was the top firm from northeast Wisconsin to make the list, ranking No. 919 with 2013 revenue of $7.9 million, a 490 percent rate of growth during the past three years. The Internet marketing firm with five employees made its debut on the Inc. 5,000 in 2013 with a ranking at No. 839.
• The Wasmer Company of New Holstein (wasmerco.com) made the list for its first time at No. 960, posting 2013 sales of $6.2 million and a 3-year growth of 470 percent. The energy efficiency consulting firm with 24 employees made the list on the very first occasion it could be eligible, having only started up in 2010.
• Acquire Restoration of Oshkosh (acquirerestoration.com) entered the Inc. 5,000 for its first time at No. 1,981 with a growth rate of 206 percent. The restoration contractor providing emergency services to properties damaged by fire, water or crime has eight employees and posted 2013 revenues of $2.2 million.
• Next on the list, Oshkosh web design and Internet marketing firm DealerFire(dealerfire.com) also made its debut to the list this year ranking at No. 2,150, posting 2013 sales of $6.6 million and a three-year growth of 185 percent. Currently supporting 95 employees, the company is anticipating a continued surge of growth, having announced a facility expansion plan this past April that garnered more than $500,000 in tax credits from Wisconsin Economic Development Corp. and is expected to spur another 123 jobs within the next three years.
• Vehicle Security Innovators of Green Bay (vansons.com) ranked No. 3,343 with a growth rate of 101 percent during the past three years. The provider of security products for the transportation industry chalked up 2013 sales of $7.1 million and currently employs a staff of 34.
• Heartland Business Systems of Little Chute (hbs.net) was named to the prestigious list for an impressive eighth straight year in 2014, recording 2013 revenues of $173 million and a three-year growth of 75 percent, ranking the IT products and services provider at No. 3,987. Making the list year after year is particularly notable because accelerated growth generally occurs just a few years before slowing down as the company becomes larger. With 460 employees, Heartland has nearly doubled its workforce in the last three years, and has more than quadrupled revenues since making its debut to the Inc. 5,000 in 2007. Its highest ranking in the eight years on the list was No. 2,048 in 2012.
• Similarly, Drexel Building Supply of Campbellsport (drexelteam.com) was named to the list for its fifth time, chiming in at No. 4,365 this year with 2013 sales of $86.7 million and a 63 percent rate of growth during the past three years. The building material supplier with 200 employees ranked as high as No. 311 when it appeared on the Inc. 5,000 in 2009.
• Kimberly-Clark Corp. spinoff Aurizon Ultrasonics of Kimberly (aurizonultrasonics.com) entered the list for its first time this year at No. 4,412 with a 61 percent rate of growth during the past three years. The manufacturer of ultrasonic technology for the paper and packaging industries reported 2013 receipts of $4.5 million and currently employs 20.
• Oshkosh-based Fox World Travel (gofox.com) returned to the list for its second year in a row at No. 4,588, posting sales of $17.9 million a year ago and a three-year growth rate of 55 percent. The travel management agency with 170 employees moved up from its ranking at No. 4,917 in 2013.
• Rounding out the list of area firms making the Inc. 5,000 cut, Integrated Paper Services of Appleton (ipstesting.com) made its debut at No. 4,955 with a growth of 44 percent during the past three years. The testing lab for the paper and pulp, packaging and medical testing industries reported 2013 sales of $3.9 million and supports 58 employees.
Congratulations to every firm that made the Inc. 5,000 list this year, and best wishes for a successful 2014 in hopes that you’ll be included on next year’s list as well.